Sometimes called a cap, a dental crown can be utilized to treat an extensive cavity, protect a fragile tooth, restore a cracked tooth, or mask a stained tooth. Designed to be positioned over the desired tooth and custom colored to match the surrounding teeth for a natural appearance, a dental crown protects and reinstates functionality to damaged teeth. The dental professionals of DentalWorks - Pewaukee offer multiple different methods for crowns to better suit the needs of individuals in Pewaukee, WI.
During your consultation with a member of the DentalWorks - Pewaukee dental team, we will identify the multiple crown material options with you to allow you to pick the ideal material that fits your dental needs, aesthetic goals, and finances. If you want to learn more concerning the types of crowns and the ways they can improve your smile, then read below for more in-depth information.
IDEAL CANDIDATES FOR A DENTAL CROWN:
One of our dental professionals might provide a dental crown as a treatment for multiple reasons, such as:
- To cover a fractured tooth, protecting it from uncovered nerves that may lead to extreme sensitivity and pain
- In order to function as a foundation to aid in keeping dental bridges secure
- To restore a tooth’s purpose and appearance following a root canal treatment
- To act as a support structure for loose or worn teeth
- Used aesthetically to hide discolored or poorly shaped teeth
- To allow for the protection of a damaged, decaying tooth as a way to reduce further dental problems
- In the case that an area of decay is too large for a regular filling
KINDS OF CROWNS
Based on an individual's concerns, tooth location, and preferences, crowns are created from several materials. While some crowns may last upwards of 15 years, others are only a temporary fix.
- Temporary: This type of crown is made from acrylic or stainless steel and is commonly made in the dentist’s office for quicker treatment, as opposed to a long-lasting crown made off-site.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: Thought of as the best aesthetic choice, this dental crown has a color-match unsurpassed by any other substance. Ceramic or porcelain crowns are most often used on the front teeth and modeled after the shape, color, and size of the individual's current teeth. This substance is also the best for those who havewho suffer from] allergies to metal.
- Metal: This type of crown is most often made from stainless steel or various other metals, which are customized for the patient's specific needs.
- Porcelain over Metal: This crown is a choice for covering forward or back teeth and boosts the strength of metal to a dental bridge. The porcelain allows the dentist to specifically match the existing enamel of surrounding teeth for a natural appearance.
HOW IT WORKS
The primary step for men and women in Pewaukee, WI to obtain a dental crown is to meet with a dental professional from DentalWorks - Pewaukee for a consultation. At this time, impressions of your smile will be taken, which ensures the custom fit of your crown. When your crown is ready, the treatment area will be numbed using a local anesthetic so the current tooth may be readied to ensure the crown’s fit. Secondary impressions are required to evaluate the appropriate fit and bite prior to it being secured of the crown atop the existing tooth or attached to a dental implant. The correct shape of your new crown allows for continuing stability. The overall treatment might take a few weeks to complete since crowns are sent to a lab for customization. When necessary, a temporary crown can be recommended.
When the anesthesia has eased, ordinary daily activities may be resumed. The team at DentalWorks - Pewaukee will give post-care instructions that are crucial to follow for a good recovery and healing. We will discuss with you the most effective way to tend to your crown, including which foods to stay away from. For individuals who grind their teeth or tighten their jaws, a night guard can be recommended to protect your crown. It is important to continue your annual dental exams at DentalWorks - Pewaukee to ensure good oral health. Routine daily brushing and flossing may help to protect against decay or periodontal disease and the need for further crowns down the line.
Devoted to your optimal oral health, DentalWorks - Pewaukee offers treatments for men and women in Pewaukee, WI featuring the latest dental procedures, such as dental crowns. Men and women who require a crown can feel at-ease knowing they have options that meet their cosmetic goals and budget. If you have been thinking about receiving a dental crown and would like to learn more about this state-of-the-art procedure, we encourage you to call or arrange a consultation with DentalWorks - Pewaukee today.